Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cianjur 2: religion

Most people here and in Indonesia period are Muslim. I've been woken up by the call to prayer two days so far. The other morning I was dreaming that I was telling someone about it and I said, "And just when you think it's over, it starts up again," because that's what was happening. They pause for like 30 seconds and you're turning over to snore and then it starts up again. It's really loud, like the PA system at a public school but outside. It just started up again and every time it blows my mind. My host family just walks around doing their thing while it's happening. The other day we waited 'til after the last call to prayer to eat dinner. Maybe it's like church bells in the States? You just sort of ignore those. They kind of mark time.

There was also a very loud speech that sounded angry about God (so I was told) last night. I can't tell if it was actually angry or just impassioned. It was more surreal that there was a speech coming over the neighborhood PA system. There is nothing equivalent to this at home. Maybe if you took a talk radio show and broadcast it from everyone's radio at once in your neighborhood. And then you took away everyone's control dials. The more I think about this the crazier it sounds.

The food here, by the way, is ridiculous. It's hot like nothing I've ever eaten. I'm pretty sure there are Scotch bonnet peppers involved. (Even if there aren't, I'm saying there are. My face melts every time I eat the chili sauce.) There are lots of fried vegetable cakes, different kinds of soy bean cakes and tempeh stuff, lots of chicken (even at breakfast!) and fried bananas. I've made it my personal mission to eat as many fried bananas as I can, and to hit the daily mango quota of three. So far, so good. The local tea, of course, is fantastic. The coffee is all instant.

5 comments:

  1. The PA system kind of wigged us out at first in Turkey too.

    Time Traveler's Wife IS kind of trashy. I'm not surprised backpackers are obsessed with Paulo Coelho--it's the journey, man. I don't think Siddhartha and The Alchemist are similar? Am I missing something? One is pretty intense spiritual revelation that changes the world. Still, both good books. And I love that quote. Why bother--frreals?

    Miss your face! Can't wait to catch up in a few months about how unbelievably awesome you are. Hope McDo----y is wetting himself thinking of how amazing you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, look at you, drinking local tea and analyzaing the peppers in food samples! Such a posh traveller! Btw, Miss Murray has branded me the "Student Council Baker." I'm not even kidding, she actually thanked me for my pies in front of the entire 8th grade. Miss Murray is CRAZY!!

    And the pennie thing is still pretty weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. penny*
    haha, now you can't retalliate with a spelling jab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly! You left India already? Where are you off to next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah but I can with a two-comment jab, Mo--nerd! :P

    RA, I miss YOUR face. I'm almost planning to land in NYC whenever I do so that I can make a complete loop at your house. I promise not to mess up the shower this time...

    Natalie, I'm headed to Yogyakarta, probably spelled that wrong, Malaysia's next is the plan, but it seems to change daily...

    ReplyDelete

My trip to India & Southeast Asia.