Sunday, June 28, 2009

people, Gilli, Lombok

Traveling with other folks is awesome. I like to think I've struck a balance between touristy and "experiencing" stuff. Touristy stuff is easy to see, it's quick, the transport's mostly with other tourists, you all hang out together. It's the same as touristy places at home, basically. Only cheaper and grubbier because I trail the backpacker route. "Experiencing" stuff is even cheaper, because I want to be with the locals, so I take PT and eat where ever there's a crowd and see things around town. It's kind of my ideal version of traveling but I've realized it's not really possible to stop being a tourist ever. I've gotten over this and decided to enjoy the fact that I am spending money to see a place.

The Gillis are a primo example of a backpacker haven--the little islands are a mix of families on vaca and travelers that get stuck there diving for weeks and weeks. Me and my two compadres only stayed for two nights but we went to the party (the island is so small that there is one party per night), which was surprisingly a good time--everyone who worked and visited on the island was mingling.

We took a boat to Lombok which is where I am now, in a beach "town" called Senggigi. I forgot how much I love the beach. And it gives me great comfort to know that the beach is the same everywhere--really, really chill. I'm looking forward to getting back into the slightly more real world and seeing what there is to see, but for now, this traveling is officially vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My trip to India & Southeast Asia.