Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gunung Rinjani

That other d back there (Gudung Gede) should have been an n, also. Gunung means "mount" in Indonesian.

I climbed another volcano, and this time I saw LAVA! Around 7 after the sun went down and the fools I was with were thoroughly freezing, the lava appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the little volcano we could see and I said, "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen!"
Stupid boys: Really?
Me: Yeah, what would possibly be cooler than hot lava?
SB: Spurting hot lava?
Me: You guys suck.
SB: Naked women?
Me: Ha. Ha.
SB: Spurting hot lava with naked women?

So you can imagine what seven hours up the mountain was like with that crowd. Actually, it wasn't so bad when we were bonding over the awesomeness of X-men Origins: Wolverine, but once they called Christian Bales' Batman a gimp, it was kind of hard for me to like them. Still, I had a great time. Climbing up took so long and I had a bit of a cold, so I slept like the dead in my ultra-warm sleeping bag. The climb down the next day was brutal but I ran down the last 2 k's--downhill mountain running is the world's most under-appreciated sport, I'm telling you! And two days later, I'm still sore.

I've been cooking on the beach in Senggigi--it still reminds me of beach towns back home--and getting ready to go to Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My trip to India & Southeast Asia.