Tuesday, May 26, 2009

dirt

I was wondering what I should write to explain how traveling here really is, because I feel like all the travel blogs I've read have not prepared me for my trip.  They're all about the high points.  The low points are hilarious.  But let me give it to you straight about one thing--buses in India are nasty.

This is not a "travel is no bed of roses" kind of thing.  I half knew that when I signed up, and it's one of the reasons I decided to go to India, anyway.  It's more like "some aspects of travel are boring, far beyond unpleasant, and hinder the good parts of travel, and there's no getting around them."  That's how night buses are.  They are dirty, filthy, even, unkempt to the point of having bedbugs in the seats and body odor in the fabric.  They are filled with lecherous men.  I haven't slept at the proper time on one yet, making me not only the only white girl, but also the only awake person (which I guess is kind of a treasure, because no one will can stare at me if they're asleep).  It's lonely even with a friend.  I hate my three experiences enough to never want to take one again, but sad to say--it's the only option!

I've learned some things from my terrible journeys--for instance, nothing compares to the relief of stepping OFF the bus.  Soap, water, and a nap are pretty much always the solution.  And I don't like buses.  That's pretty much it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia- It's your home-bound aunt. Your sister sent the blog link to your mom, who sent it to my dad, who sent it to me...a roundabout way, I know. I am really enjoying reading about your travels. Wish I would have had the sense to do something like it when I was your age. Have fun, be careful, keep writing....Love, Aunt Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home-bound? Hope you don't mean literally!! Thanks, Aunt Maggie!

    ReplyDelete

My trip to India & Southeast Asia.