Friday, May 15, 2009

hi

from Chennai. This place is overwhelming. I've been alternating long pauses in my nice room with excursions--to buy clothes, to get money out, to come use the computer. Next on the list is dinner. Veg or non-veg, so funny!

I knew this would happen--I have no idea what to tell you guys. I can make my train ride to town sound like an adventure but that would be weird. There was a blind man singing on it and a kid selling Lifesavers who sounded like an auctioneer and we went past a complete mile of shanty-town. I don't really want to rehash my shopping experience because it was mostly pleasant but everything feels like a trial where I just get seriously embarrassed--I get benevolent smiles from women and demands or requests for money from men. It'd be redundant to say I'm overwhelmed. But let me tell you, NOBODY was lying about the chai! Or the cows by the side of the road!

They should have told me about the stray DOGS!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I wish I was having a super authentic cup of chai with you while watching a cow wander around. Why am I not visiting India????

    In other news, I'm going to NJ tomorrow. Hahaha.

    Miss your face! Oh, and what happened with the shower? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, sorry about that! I meant to write a note on the chalkboard about how I'm incompetent...somehow the water missed the curtain and ended up...everywhere. So yeah, it's ok if you don't want me to sleep over ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo, I understand the difficulty!

    So how long are you staying there? Where are you renting a room? I'm extremely curious in the seemingly boring details of your itinerary.

    ReplyDelete

My trip to India & Southeast Asia.